Section 8

Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV)

The rental assistance program provides for a rent subsidy to be paid to an owner of an existing rental unit on behalf of an eligible family. The family will pay approximately 30% of its monthly income and the Housing and Redevelopment Authority of Winona will pay the balance of the approved market rent. The approved rent includes the cost of utilities. (It does not include phone or cable TV.)

How does the program work?

  1. The family completes an application and sends it to the Winona HRA.
  2. The HRA then determines eligibility and places the family on a waiting list until a Housing Choice Voucher can be issued.
  3. The family may then search for a unit in the market which meets the rent limits and housing quality standards. The owner must agree to participate.
  4. The family and owner meet to discuss rental provisions and the family submits a request for lease approval to the HRA.
  5. The HRA inspects the unit and reviews the lease.
  6. Should the unit and lease be acceptable, a lease approval is given and the family moves into the unit.
  7. A Housing Assistance Payment contract is executed between the owner and the HRA to provide for the rent subsidy each month.
  8. The family pays their portion of the rent to the landlord each month.
  9. The unit is inspected once a year to ensure compliance with housing quality standards.

Types of rental housing that are included

  • Single family homes
  • Apartments
  • Duplexes
  • Townhouses

In order to consider apartments or houses for rent under section 8, rental units must meet quality standards, authorized rent limits and must be located in the City of Winona. The rental unit you are currently living in may be eligible, if it meets the program requirements.


All housing provided under Section 8 is subject to Federal, State and Local Fair Housing Laws. There may be no discrimination because of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, familial status, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability or status with regard to public assistance. If you encounter discrimination you should contact your local human rights office or the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

For more information: